Laura K. Sibbald, MA, CCC-SLP, ASDCS, CYMHS is a nationally certified speech-language pathologist, autism spectrum disorder clinical specialist, and certified youth mental health specialist who has extensive experience supporting the social-emotional and pragmatic language needs of students and families. She has developed and implemented a variety of professional learning opportunities surrounding social-emotional competence, promoting independence, and trauma-informed practices at the state and national level.
Laura has had over a decade of experience in the public-school setting, working as an SLP and an instructional specialist for special education and autism in the Washington, DC metropolitan region. To further her education and support her students, Laura earned Relationship Development Intervention (RDI) Educator Certification and Administrator I Certification in Educational Leadership and Supervision. Laura is a coauthor of the Trauma-Informed Social-Emotional Toolbox for Children & Adolescents (PESI, 2020) and the Parenting Toolbox (PESI, 2018). Both workbooks provide practical strategies on pragmatic language and executive function skills that can readily transfer into clinical and educational professional practices. Laura has been an invited speaker at a variety of events across the country, including PESI’s 2022 Autism Symposium, where she had the privilege of working with noted neurodiversity advocates Dr. Stephen Shore, Dr. Temple Grandin, Emile Gouws, & Dr. Barry Prizant. She has tailored workshops for school systems, state associations, university campuses, and private businesses focused on the empowerment of neurodivergent learners.
Laura is a member of the College Autism Network, the Pennsylvania Speech-Language Hearing Association- DEI Committee, and the Maryland Speech-Language and Hearing Association- Multicultural Affairs committee, focusing on the promotion of equity practices in diverse communicators. She is an active ASHA member, serving as a topic committee member for the 2022 ASHA Convention in business practices for speech-language pathology. Laura graduated from The George Washington University in 2011 with a Master's in speech-language pathology. She is the chair of the Alumni Advisory Council for the Speech-Language Hearing Science Department at GWU. She currently resides in Philadelphia, PA, and works as the inaugural Associate Director of the Center for Accessibility and Learning Services / Neurodiversity Initiatives at Chestnut Hill College, continuing to empower the achievement of students who learn differently.
Sibbald, L. (June 2022). Helping Children Cope with Stressful Moments and Anxious Thoughts. Autism Advocate Parenting Magazine
Phifer, L. & Sibbald, L. (Nov 2020). Trauma-Informed Social-Emotional Toolbox. PESI Publishing
· An evidence-based workbook to guide children and families to recognize and cope with trauma. Focusing on fostering trust and positive regard, promoting problem solving pathways, developing personal empowerment.
Phifer, L., Sibbald, L., & Rowen, J. (Aug 2018). Parenting Toolbox. PESI Publishing
· A Cognitive Behavioral Therapy based workbook focused on building social-emotional language competence and increasing self-awareness, regulation, and resiliency skills.
Invited Speaking Engagements:
· Florida Atlantic University: Center for Autism and Related Disorders Annual Conference “Aligning Autism Intervention and Mental Health Outcomes to Build Resilience” May 2022 | Virtual Conference
· Florida Atlantic University: Center for Autism and Related Disorders Annual Conference “The Roadmap to Regulation: Helping Children Cope with Big Emotions” May 2022 | Virtual Conference
· Florida Atlantic University: Center for Autism and Related Disorders Annual Conference “Neurodiversity and the Transition to Independence” May 2022 | Virtual Conference
· PESI Publishing and Media International Autism Symposium “Neurodiversity and the Transition to Independence” April 2022 | Virtual Conference
· Pennsylvania Speech-Language Hearing Association Convention “Navigating Autism Interventions Through a Trauma Informed Lens” April 2022 | Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
· West Virginia Speech-Language Hearing Association Convention “Navigating Autism Through a Trauma Informed Lens” March 2022 | Virtual Conference
· Maryland Speech-Language Hearing Association Clinical Connections Conference “Navigating Autism Through a Trauma Lens” October 2021 | Virtual Conference
· PESI Publishing and Media 2nd Annual Kid’s Summit “Reacclimate and Regulate: A Roadmap to Build Trust, Foster Safety, and Support Healthy Communication in Schools” August 2021 | Virtual Conference
· PESI Publishing and Media International Autism Symposium Keynote Interview of Dr. Temple Grandin: “Different…Not Less” April 2021 | Virtual Conference
· PESI Publishing and Media International Autism Symposium “Promoting Self Awareness and Problem Solving in Children with Autism” April 2021 | Virtual Conference
· Relationship Development Intervention Annual Conference “The RDI Teacher Certification Program” November 2020 | Virtual Conference
· The Behavior Revolution: Parenting Autism and ADHD International Conference “How to Help Your Child Learn to Restore Calm” October 2020 | Virtual Conference