Each student must complete a dissertation, which may consist of an original empirical research study, an extensive critical review and integration of the literature on a topic in the field, or a detailed clinical analysis of a series of cases representing a particular problem or diagnosis. The student must successfully defend the dissertation before a committee of faculty members.
The Dissertation Process.
- Statistical Applications (Year III). This course reviews the basic methods of statistical analysis for quantitative data and introduces the student to computer software used for data analysis.
- Dissertation Mentoring I, II, III. Starting with the summer semester of Year II, students begin a course sequence that is designed to assist them in determining a dissertation topic and developing the dissertation proposal.
- Dissertation Advising I: Proposal Development Phase I. Following the third semester of Dissertation Mentoring, students meet individually with the Dissertation Chair to complete a full draft of the formal dissertation proposal and related requirements.
- Dissertation Advising II: Proposal Development Phase II. Following completion of the proposal draft and review by the Dissertation Committee, students meet individually with the Dissertation Chair to incorporate feedback from the Committee and to complete the formal dissertation proposal.
- Dissertation Advising III: Proposal Development Phase III. Following completion of the proposal, students meet individually with the Dissertation Chair to complete and submit the IRB application and related requirements, and to secure IRB approval to conduct the dissertation research.
- Dissertation Advising: Continuation. Students continue and complete the dissertation project under the guidance of the Dissertation Chair, in collaboration with committee members.
In the early stages of the dissertation process, the Year III students present their proposed topics in a poster session. Here is a link to the poster session held in November 2019: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOklfjKKPxbREzT2vM7iI6ZL5Y2cPUKQe.