The Psy.D. Application is online at https://admissions.chc.edu/apply.
- Psy.D. Online Application (applications should be filed online in advance of the College's receipt of supplemental documentation)
- Psy.D. Recommendation Form
Chestnut Hill College
9601 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118
Attn: Doctoral Admissions Committee
Transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate college coursework
- Official transcripts must be sent electronically or via postal mail. Electronic official transcripts may be sent directly to PsyDApps@chc.edu. Official transcripts mailed to CHC must be in a sealed envelope. If the seal has been broken, the transcript is no longer official and will not be accepted as part of the application packet.
- Graduates of CHC are not required to submit a CHC transcript; the transcript will be obtained internally through the Registrar's Office.
Standardized Test Scores
- All applicants must submit GRE General Test Scores: Go to http://www.ets.org/ and click on the GRE icon. (CHC code: 2082).
- The GRE must have been taken within five years of the date of application.
- TOEFL, TSE (Test of Spoken English), or TWE (Test of Written English) may be required for all applicants for whom English is not the first language.
Three Letters of Recommendation
- Letters of recommendation should be from faculty members and/or clinical supervisors who are familiar with the applicant's skills and potential. At least one letter from a doctoral level instructor and/or core faculty member must pertain to the applicant's academic performance and potential. At least one letter should pertain to the applicant's clinical performance and/or potential. For applicants seeking advanced standing, one of the letters of recommendation must be an evaluation from a practicum supervisor or a supervisor at a work placement in a mental health setting.
- Complete and sign the top portion of the recommendation form before forwarding it to the recommender. Ask that the letter be returned to you in a sealed envelope. Do not open the sealed envelope when it has been returned to you. The recommender may also choose to scan and email the completed form to PsyDApps@chc.edu .
In an essay of approximately 1200 words (5 double-spaced pages), please address each of the following topics:
- What unique qualifications do you believe make you suited to a career in professional psychology?
- How does the Psy.D. Program at Chestnut Hill College fit with your professional goals? Please be as specific as possible. Discuss the match between your interests and those of the doctoral faculty (see faculty biographies)
- One of the objectives of the Psy.D. Program is to foster “an understanding and appreciation of cultural factors relevant to the delivery of psychological services to a diverse client population.” Please discuss your background and interest in the topics of diversity and serving diverse populations, specifically addressing how you can contribute to the Psy.D. Program’s commitment to training students who will be competent to provide services to an increasingly diverse population of potential clients. (The Program adopts APA’s definition of “diversity,” which includes but is not limited to the following characteristics: age, disabilities, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, language, national origin, race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status.)
Essays will be evaluated both for content and for writing style.
A personal interview with members of the faculty is required. Invitation to the personal interview is extended to selected applicants after review of the submitted materials. At the interview applicants will be required to disclose any past criminal history. In some cases an applicant may be required to undergo a criminal background check.
A catalog course description and syllabus are required for any course for which the applicant wishes to request transfer credits. These materials must be submitted with the application if the applicant wishes to be considered for admission directly to Year II. Syllabi and course descriptions are not necessary for graduate courses completed at Chestnut Hill College. See the policy on Transfer Credits (below) for more information.
Applicants currently enrolled in other doctoral programs:
Applicants who currently attend or who previously attended another doctoral program must submit a letter from the Chair of the program indicating that the student either is in good standing or left the program in good standing. A full application packet is required.