Are you uncertain about the major or course of study you want to pursue in college? You aren't alone! Nearly half of all students enter colleges and universities undecided or unsure about their major or course of study. Over 70% of all students change their major at least once.
At Chestnut Hill College, we recognize that students need time to determine their path of study. That's why we've developed the Academic Discovery Program (ADP), a program for up to three semesters designed for first and second-year students who are uncertain about their course of study.
As a Member of ADP, You Are Provided the Following:
1. An Academic Advisor with whom you meet regularly to discuss:
- Academic interests;
- Potential career paths; and
- Customized and collaborative course registration process with ADP Academic Advisor to ensure discovery classes are chosen in the correct sequence.
2. Five Courses chosen from the list below, focused on academic and career discovery:
- Liberal Arts Discovery Seminar (LADS 120)
- Welcome to CHC! (WCHC 101) - required for all new first-year students
- One Art or Music course of your choice; or
- One Social Science course of your choice; or
- A Science, History or English course of your choice; or
- One Foreign Language course (determined via Griffin Day testing); or
- One Math course (determined via Griffin Day testing)
3. Meet with Career Development staff at least once per semester.
4. Engagement in service projects and participation in academic/social events, including Academic Lecture Dinners with ADP Academic Advisor.
By the end of your first year, you'll be on track to pursue a course of study that suits you!
FAQs About Being an Undecided Major and the Benefits of ADP
Meet Your ADP Advisor!
Questions? Looking for more information on the Academic Discovery Program?