Skip to content Skip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

When should an application be submitted to the Global Education Office? 

Applications are accepted up to one year prior to the intended entering semester. All applicants are encouraged to send applications and credentials as early as possible. Early applicants increase their chance of admission.

May I apply for admission for any semester during the academic year?

While most new international students and Americans abroad begin their studies during the fall semester which begins during the last week of August, it is possible to apply for admission for the spring semester which begins in late January. 

What are the application deadlines? 

Freshmen and transfers from foreign universities should send an application and supporting documents to the Global Education Office by the following dates: 

Fall semester -- June 1  

Spring semester -- October 1 

Transfer students from colleges and universities in the USA should send an application and supporting documents to the Global Education Office by the following dates: 

Fall semester -- July 1 

Spring semester -- December 1 

Summer semester* -- April 1 

* Please note that only transfer students already studying in the U.S. are eligible to apply for the summer semester. Students are required to register as a full time student if starting in the summer (12 credits for Undergraduates). Admission to the summer semester is subject to availability of classes and is only available for Summer Session 1. If no classes are offered, admission will be considered for the fall semester.

When will I receive an admissions decision? 

After the Application for International Admissions is received and completed with all required credentials and documents, an admission decision is usually sent within three weeks or less. 

How are international admission decisions made? 

Admission decisions are based on an applicant’s academic credentials and proficiency in English/aptitude testing. For an applicant who requires a student visa, the ability to finance their studies at Chestnut Hill College is also considered.  CHC is looking for students who have completed a strong academic curriculum, who are highly motivated, and who have score well on their examinations. 

Must I take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)? 

Applicants whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in English. The TOEFL is the most frequently submitted examination score that the College receives, however the admissions office will use other measures upon the applicant’s request. The IELTS, ACT, and SAT examinations may also be used. 

I am currently finishing my final year of secondary school or university. Do I have to wait until I finish the year to apply to Chestnut Hill College? 

No, the College would prefer that you apply during your final year by sending a transcript which includes your mid-year grades/marks of your final year and courses in progress. If you are admitted, your admission will be conditional until your final year grades/marks are received and reviewed by the Admissions Office. You will not be permitted to complete your first semester at CHC until your final transcript is received.

What happens once I am admitted? 

You will need to pay a $500.00 tuition deposit. If for some reason you are denied a student visa for Chestnut Hill College, you can request a new I-20 for admission the following semester.  As soon as your tuition deposit is received, you will receive detailed information concerning your arrival, CHC email account, math placement test, international student orientation, housing and meal plan, and required medical forms. 

Can I receive credit for high scores on the AP exams? 

Chestnut Hill College will accept any Advanced Placement (AP) courses for credit with a score of 3 or better on the College Board Advanced Placement examination. In most cases, courses will transfer either as a general education requirement or as elective credit.  

After you have been admitted to the College, you may request an evaluation by the Registrar’s Office.  In order for credit to be evaluated and awarded, official copies of AP credits and scores must be sent directly from the College Board testing service. Any questions should be directed to the CHC Registrar’s Office by calling 215-248-7005.

Is a residence hall room on campus guaranteed? 

For all freshman applicants on campus housing is required for the first year of study unless special arrangements have been made with the Global Education Office. 

What is the process for obtaining a student visa? 

Once an international student has been admitted and provided documented proof of financial responsibility, the Global Education Office will issue an I-20 student visa form. You must then contact an American embassy or consulate and follow the procedure to apply for a student visa. The exact procedure can usually be found on the embassy or consulate web site.

I entered the United States on a tourist visa. Must I return home to apply for a student visa? 

In most cases, a tourist visa cannot be changed to a student visa while you are in the United States.

How do I get to Chestnut Hill College? 

The transportation system in the United States is quite different from many other countries.  It is easy to travel to Chestnut Hill College using public transportation. SEPTA operates a daily bus and train service between locations in Philadelphia to Chestnut Hill College.  For schedules, visit .  Both the Chestnut Hill East (R7) and the Chestnut Hill West (R8) lines service Chestnut Hill from Center City Philadelphia and 30th Street Station. Chestnut Hill East also provides service from Trenton, N.J. and Northeast Philadelphia. If using Chestnut Hill East (R7), walk two blocks down Chestnut Hill Avenue to Germantown Avenue. Take the “L” Bus to the College entrance, one mile west.

Chestnut Hill College
9601 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118 

SugarLoaf Hill
9220 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118

Read More