fbpx FAQs about School Counseling | Chestnut Hill College Skip to content Skip to navigation

FAQs about School Counseling

FAQs about School Counseling

Can I complete this Master's degree with only online courses?

No. There are several courses that are offered in an online format, and others that are offered as hybrid courses, but the program is not a fully online program and most courses are held in person on both the Main Campus in Philadelphia and our Lehigh Valley program at DeSales University.

Can I receive Financial Aid?

Prospective students should complete the FAFSA and may contact the Chestnut Hill College’s Office of Student Financial Services for information regarding financial aid at finaid@chc.edu or 215-248-7182.

Do I have to have an undergraduate degree in Psychology or Education to attend this program?

No. Students may apply with any degree for their undergraduate work. You will need to provide an essay as part of your application that discusses your desire to enter this program and the school counseling profession as well as participate in a personal interview.

Can life experience and/or relevant employment experience count towards credits and/or field placement hours?

Unfortunately, no. However, if you have relevant life or work experience in schools or in mental health, this could be quite helpful as you move forward in your degree program.

How many years does it take to complete this program?

Full time students can expect to complete the M.S. in School Counseling in two years; part-time students can expect to graduate in three years.

What is the difference between the School Counseling Certification program and the School Counseling Certification/Licensure program?

School Counseling Certification is granted by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE). Graduates of the Certification only program (49 credits) will be eligible to apply to PDE for the PreK-12 School Counselor Certification. Graduates of the Certification/Licensure program (61 credits) will be eligible to apply to PDE for the PreK-12 School Counselor Certification and will have met the educational requirements of the Pennsylvania State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors for the Licensed Professional Counselor credential.

What time of day are classes held?

Most classes are offered from either 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. or 7:00 – 10:00 p.m. on week nights. Occasionally, classes are offered over five Saturdays for eight hours each class meeting.

Will I be able to work while attending this program?

Yes! Many of our students do work, either full or part-time jobs. We have structured our classes in the evenings and sometimes on Saturdays to accommodate students’ working schedules.

What courses should I take first?

It is recommended that in your first year, you register for Foundations of School Counseling I and the Pre-Practicum (1 credit) courses. Because you will need prerequisites prior to beginning your Practicum, it is recommended that you also consider Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy (3 cr), Techniques of Counseling of Psychotherapy (3 cr), and Legal & Ethical Issues in Counseling and Psychotherapy (3 cr) for your initial courses.

What if I want to do my Practicum/Internship at a site that is not one of your approved sites?

Your field placement experience must be done at one site over two semesters, and Chestnut Hill College will have a site placement list of approved sites for this experience. However, if there is a site not on our list that you are interested in, you can discuss this option with the Field Placement Coordinator with sufficient notice so he/she/they can determine if your preferred site can become approved.

Can I use my personal email address for correspondence as a student?

No. Upon acceptance to this program, you will be assigned a Chestnut Hill College email address, which is the address you will use throughout the duration of your program.

Read More