CHC-PSC offers comprehensive psychological and educational testing and evaluation services for children and adults with the goal of assisting with diagnostic clarification, treatment recommendations, and school or workplace accommodations. Common examples of presenting concerns include:
- Learning and processing challenges (including learning disabilities in the areas of reading, math, writing)
- Problems with memory or focusing (including assessment for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
- Behavioral problems
- Developmental delays (including assessment for Autism Spectrum Disorder)
- Mood, anxiety or relationship problems
What is included in a psychological assessment?
Psychological assessments typically combine individual interviews and testing. The amount of information and testing that goes into each individual’s assessment is guided by referral and diagnostic questions. Our comprehensive assessments include tests of cognitive abilities, academic achievement, and behavior and executive functioning rating scales. When appropriate, additional personality and projective measures are included as part of the assessment.
If you are seeking a psychological assessment at CHC-PSC, you should expect the following:
- Your first appointment will consist of an intake interview. This appointment is typically 1-2 hours long. We do occasionally begin testing during the first session, and your clinician will inform you of the length of the session should this occur.
- Your clinician will work with you to schedule subsequent assessment appointments. These can vary from 1-3 hours per session and can be over a number of days. You can expect approximately 2-4 different appointments.
- Once your last session has ended, your clinician will then begin the process of interpreting and synthesizing the findings in order to develop the written evaluation report.
- When the report is ready (~ 3 weeks from your last appointment), you and your assessment clinician will meet for a feedback session in order to review results, discuss the implications of the findings, and to go over specific recommendations. You will be provided with a copy of this evaluation report.