Chestnut Hill College (CHC) seeks a Laboratory Manager to join the Center for Natural and Behavioral Sciences. This is a full-time, ten-month staff position including administrative and some teaching duties. Founded by the Sisters of Saint Joseph, CHC is an independent, Catholic institution that fosters excellence by providing a holistic education within a strong liberal arts tradition. The mission of the college is dedicated to serving the Dear Neighbor--student, faculty, staff, the surrounding community, and our global neighbors--without distinction.
Reporting to the Center Chair and Chair of Chemistry, the Laboratory Manager will be responsible for the teaching of undergraduate general chemistry laboratories (nine contact hours per semester), general lab management, and preparing scientific materials (chemicals, glassware, consumables) for undergraduate laboratory activities in chemistry and biology. In addition to preparing lab activities under the direction of teaching faculty, the Lab Manager will be responsible for general laboratory operations for Chemistry.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a scientific field required
- Experience in safe laboratory practices and a working knowledge of state and federal safety regulations pertaining to chemical and equipment usage/disposal required
- Undergraduate lab teaching experience preferred
- Experience with handling and packaging of biohazard waste preferred
- Previous experience as an undergraduate laboratory manager preferred
- Managing the chemical and supplies inventory
- Sourcing/purchasing chemicals and equipment within budget guidelines
- Maintaining an inventory of materials safety data sheets (MSDS)
- Coordinating chemical waste management, including weekly checks of satellite waste locations within the Chemistry and Biology laboratory spaces
- Supervising student employees to maintain general laboratory cleanliness
- Supervising adjunct instructors, if necessary, for chemistry laboratories
- Performing routine maintenance on basic scientific equipment including pH probes, portable spectrophotometers, automatic pipets, and microscopes
- After training from teaching faculty, operating analytical instrumentation including HPLC, GC-MS, UV-VIS spectrophotometer, fluorescence spectrophotometer
. No phone calls please.
Chestnut Hill College is an employer committed to a culture of diversity and inclusion as a core value. In an effort to support our diverse student community, we embrace equal access and welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, and encourage applications from groups underrepresented in higher education. We are committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum.