The Financial Aid Counselor is responsible for providing support to all Financial Aid Counselors and Directors to ensure compliance with federal and state student aid. Responsible for the flow of the electronic files for students. Assists the Director(s) with awarding and packaging of three academic programs (1) accelerated program, (2) traditional undergraduate program and (3) graduate program. Provides federal needs analysis, and completes verification. Performs a variety of advanced clerical duties to assist with the financial aid awarding process. Assists with the assessment and processes related to student satisfactory academic progress and PA State Grant eligibility with financial aid extensions for financial aid students.
Reporting to the Director of Financial Aid, this position may involve interaction and collaboration with student accounts, admissions, students, alumni, faculty, and other college constituents. The Counselor must be professional, have strong communication and problem solving skills, and provide processing outputs that are timely and accurate. The Counselor will work collaboratively within a unit devoted to superior student service, financial literacy, and the mission of the College.
The Counselor is also responsible for awarding all aspects of federal, state, and institutional financial aid and maintaining current knowledge of all Title IV regulations.
When necessary, this person may serve as a ‘back-up’ for our office assistant and provide front desk coverage.
- Excellent customer relations and listening skills; ability to exercise tact and discretion
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Demonstrated time management, organizational, and planning skills
- Use resources effectively and appropriately to avoid and resolve potential issues
- Demonstrated experience delivering accurate and courteous service in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Must be flexible, a team-player, have cultural sensitivity, and demonstrate initiative
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced and time sensitive environment and the ability to adapt to changing and competing priorities
- Ability to work within the scope of Title IV and FERPA regulations
- Knowledge of PA State Grant and other special programs
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office Suite software as well as knowledge of Powerfaids/Jenzabar/Infomaker
- Ability to educate students and families on their financial and registration records inquiries
- Must be a self-starter with a great degree of internal motivation
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (Education/Training and Experience Required)
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years’ experience in a student financial aid office
- Experience working with complex regulations and policies
- Must be in good standing in all Federal Title IV programs
- Experience with Powerfaids
- Experience administering PA State Grant programs
- Master’s Degree plus three to five years of related work experience
- Experience with Jenzabar/Infomaker systems
- Experience with Elm
- Awards and processes financial aid for a designated population, undergraduate, graduate, and accelerated students
- Verifies student awards in designated population and otherwise audits and completes those files
- Assist students in the notification and completion of missing financial aid requirements and aid acceptance
- Assists in the processing of federal and educational loan applications
- Administration of Pennsylvania State Grant and Special programs
- Remain current with federal, state, and institutional financial aid regulations
- Maintain highly sensitive, confidential, accurate, academic and financial information on all student records in accordance with directives from FERPA guidelines
- Coordinate FA information on chc.edu website and myCHC student portal
- Participate in on campus and/or virtual events
- Assist director with creation and maintenance of department reports including Powerfaids, Informaker, and Access reports
- Manage FWS program by verifying student eligibility, employment documents, and timesheets
- Other duties as assigned
. No phone calls please.
Chestnut Hill College is an employer committed to a culture of diversity and inclusion as a core value. In an effort to support our diverse student community, we embrace equal access and welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, and encourage applications from groups underrepresented in higher education. We are committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum.