The Financial Aid Counselor is responsible for providing superior customer service to Chestnut Hill College students and families. The Counselor is responsible for counseling full time, part time, and graduate students and their families regarding various financing options. The Counselor will work diligently to educate students and enforce college, state, and federal policies, while assisting in making the overall service experience as seamless as possible. This position offers opportunity to learn many different facets of the financial aid process.
Reporting to the Director of Financial Aid, this position will involve significant interaction and collaboration with student accounts, students, alumni, faculty, and other college constituents. The Counselor must be professional, have strong communication and problem solving skills, and be comfortable discussing highly-sensitive personal and financial matters with students and families. The Counselor will work collaboratively within a unit devoted to superior student service, financial literacy, and the mission of the College.
The counselor also is responsible for awarding all aspects of federal, state, and institutional financial aid and maintaining current knowledge of all title IV regulations. When necessary, this person will serve as a ‘back-up’ for our office assistant and provide front desk coverage.
- Excellent customer relations and listening skills; ability to exercise tact and discretion
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Demonstrated time management, organizational, and planning skills
- Use resources effectively and appropriately to avoid and resolve potential issues.
- Demonstrated experience delivering accurate and courteous service in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
- Ability to clearly and respectfully communicate with students, families, and university constituents through a variety of media.
- Must be flexible, a team-player, have cultural sensitivity, and demonstrate initiative.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced and time sensitive environment and the ability to adapt to changing and competing priorities.
- Ability to work within the scope of Title IV and FERPA regulations.
- Ability to educate students and families on their financial and registration records inquiries.
- Must be a self-starter with a great degree of internal motivation.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
- Bachelor’s degree plus two years of experience in a customer service position or equivalent combination of experience and education
- Must be in good standing in all Federal Title IV programs
- Bachelor’s degree plus three to five years of related work experience
- Experience with Powerfaids/Jenzabar systems preferred
- Experience working with complex regulations and policies
- Demonstrated knowledge of managing student academic and financial accounts.
- A general knowledge of student financial aid regulations
- Meet with students and families to analyze and assess needs relating to financial aid. Work to bring concerns to closure and advise students of various implications of changes.
- Attends College Events as needed, including admissions open houses, position will require occasional evening/weekend event coverage.
- Awards and processes financial aid for a designated population, undergraduate, graduate, and accelerated students.
- Verifies students in designated population and otherwise audits and completes those files.
- Assist students and parents in completion of financial aid forms to include FAFSA and verification requirements.
- Assist students and parents in the process of federal and educational loan applications.
- Remain current with federal, state, and institutional financial aid regulations.
- Maintain highly sensitive, confidential, accurate, academic and financial information on all student records in accordance with directives from FERPA guidelines.
- Manage state grant processing including rosters, reconciliations, and updates in the system
- All other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates may send a cover letter and resume to Kathleen Spigelmyer, Assistant to the President and General Counsel, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.