The Center for Education, Advocacy, and Social Justice at Chestnut Hill College (CHC) seeks a full-time, 12-month Assistant/Associate Professor, Discipline Chair in Montessori.
CHC, founded by the Sisters of Saint Joseph, is an independent, Catholic institution that fosters excellence by providing a holistic education within a strong liberal arts tradition. Chestnut Hill College has a decades-long tradition in the delivery of programs to area Montessori educators. Current offerings include the credit and non-credit Montessori Credential, a bachelor’s in Early Childhood Studies with Montessori Credential, and a M.Ed. in Early Education with Montessori Credential. Chestnut Hill College's Montessori Program is affiliated with the American Montessori Society and accredited by the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE).
As CHC expands its outreach to the Philadelphia region, we envision the expansion of current programs to include multiple levels of expertise and collaborative ventures with other Sisters of Saint Joseph sponsored works. The Chair, Montessori will have the opportunity to engage a dedicated community of teachers and scholars committed to expanding the Montessori model in the Philadelphia region and globally through continuing professional education opportunities.
- Doctorate in Education or related field.
- College-level teaching experience.
- Credentialed in at least one recognized Montessori Credential at the level(s) offered by CHC's Montessori Teacher Education Program.
- Five years’ experience as a teacher in Montessori environments.
- Familiarity with Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE) standards.
- Familiarity with National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) standards is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in a Montessori teacher education program, competency in educational administration and curriculum development, and evidence of continuing professional growth (30 hours of continuing professional development for the past three years) is also preferred.
- Teach courses in the School of Undergraduate Studies (SUS), the School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS), and/or the School of Graduate Studies (SGS).
- Provide leadership and organizational management for the Montessori program in collaboration with the Program Director.
- Engage in scholarly activities in keeping with the Boyer Model of Scholarship.
- Work collaboratively with the Deans of SUS, SCPS, and SGS to provide academic oversight for Montessori programs.
- Develop new levels of programs credentials to be offered by CHC
- Assist, advise, and mentor students in course selection and career development.
- Engage in faculty recruitment and oversight.
- Explore and expand model for a laboratory school model.
- Participate in service to the Center, the College, and to the profession.
- Support the mission of Chestnut Hill College.
Interested candidates should electronically submit vitae and cover letter to Jobs@chc.edu.
The hiring process will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.