The Assistant Director of Financial Aid is responsible for providing superior customer service to Chestnut Hill College students and families and to provide key operational support and leadership to the financial aid office. The assistant director will work diligently to educate students and enforce college, state, and federal policies, while assisting in making the overall service experience as seamless as possible, particularly through the leveraging of systems.
Reporting to the Director of Financial Aid, this position will involve significant interaction and collaboration with student accounts, students, alumni, faculty, and other college constituents. The assistant director must be empathetic, have strong communication and problem solving skills, and be comfortable discussing highly sensitive matters with students and families. The assistant director will work collaboratively within a unit devoted to superior student service, financial literacy, and the mission of the College.
The assistant director also is responsible for awarding all aspects of federal, state, and institutional financial aid and maintaining current knowledge of all Title IV regulations. The assistant director will also be responsible for administration of the Pell program, Direct Loans, PHEAA and other State Grants, alternative loan program, discounts, other miscellaneous grants and scholarships, among other potential programs as needed. This position will also take the lead on reporting and systems support in conjunction with the director.
Currently the College is requiring COVID vaccines for all faculty, staff, and students. There will be limited exemptions for medical or religious reasons.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent customer relations and listening skills; ability to exercise tact and discretion
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Demonstrated time management, organizational, and planning skills
- Use resources effectively and appropriately to avoid and resolve potential issues
- Demonstrated experience delivering accurate and courteous service in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
- Ability to clearly and respectfully communicate with students, families, and college constituents through a variety of media
- Must be flexible, a team player, have cultural sensitivity, and demonstrate initiative.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced and time sensitive environment and the ability to adapt to changing and competing priorities
- Ability to work within the scope of Title IV and FERPA regulations.
- Knowledge of PHEAA and other PA state grant programs
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office Suite software as well as knowledge of Powerfaids/Jenzabar/Infomaker
- Ability to educate students and families on their financial and registration records inquiries.
- Must be a self-starter with a great degree of internal motivation.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (Education/Training and Experience Required)
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience in a student financial aid office
- Experience with PowerFaids
- Experience working with complex regulations and policies
- Must be in good standing in all Federal Title IV programs
- Master’s Degree plus three to five years of related work experience
- Experience with Jenzabar/Infomaker systems preferred
- Experience administering PHEAA State Grant program
- Support the director of financial aid with administering all financial aid programs at the College
- In conjunction with the director, provide support, leadership, and training to the financial aid counselors
- Meet with students and families to analyze and assess needs relating to financial aid. Work to bring concerns to closure and advise students of various implications of changes
- Attend college events as needed, including admissions open houses, occasional evening and weekend events, and present on financial aid processes and information
- Awards and processes financial aid for a designated population; undergraduate, graduate, and/or accelerated students
- Verifies students in designated population and otherwise audits and completes those files
- Review special circumstances and SAP appeals to execute professional judgement and SAP probation decisions in accordance with Title IV regulations and school policies
- Assist students and parents in completion of financial aid forms to include FAFSA and verification requirements
- Assist students and parents in the process of federal and educational loan applications
- Administration of Pennsylvania State Grant programs
- Certify alternative loans
- Remain current with federal, state, and institutional financial aid regulations
- Maintain highly sensitive, confidential, accurate, academic and financial information on all student records in accordance with directives from FERPA guidelines
- Coordinate FA presence on web and financial aid forms, make any updates needed
- Assist director with creation and maintenance of department reports including Powerfaids, Informaker, and Access reports
- Other duties as assigned
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Jobs@chc.edu. No phone calls please.
Chestnut Hill College has a deep commitment to fostering an inclusive community as a core value. In an effort to support our diverse student body and further the diversity of our faculty and staff, we welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. To that end, we encourage applications from historically underrepresented groups. Chestnut Hill College takes seriously our stance on and will not tolerate discrimination against any individual grounded on their actual or assumed ethnic background, skin color, religion, ancestry, genetic information, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, marital status, socioeconomic status, age, veteran status, disability, use of guide or support animals and/or mechanical aids, or any basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Following the requirements contained within Title IX, Chestnut Hill College will not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational program and activity, including employment.