Skip to content Skip to navigation

FAQs for Returning to Work

FAQs for Returning to Work

How will employees know when they need to return to on-campus work?

Employees will receive sufficient notice from their Vice President, Supervisor and/or Dean with regard to timing and circumstances allowing their return to work on campus. Employees should not return to campus until receiving such notification.

How do I prepare to return to work?

It is recommended that all employees start by viewing the mandatory Employee COVID-19 Training Program. Supervisors and/or Center Chairs will be invited to attend a Zoom meeting for additional training on COVID-19 in the work place, read the Employee Return to Work Guide and the Employee or Supervisor Return to Work on Campus Checklists.

Where can I find the Return to Work training?

Prior to returning to work on campus, all employees are required to complete COVID-19 training. Training will cover best practices to prevent the spread of the virus and offer a variety of resources to help keep the College community safe. Directions regarding access to the Employee COVID-19 Training Program will be provided by Human Resources as employees are notified to return to campus. In addition, all Supervisors/Center Chairs will be required to attend a Zoom meeting for additional training on COVID-19 in the work place. Details will follow from Human Resources.

What do I need to do if I am concerned about returning to work?

Discuss your concerns with your Supervisor/Center Chair regarding the Return to Work plan. You may also contact Human Resources for additional information.

Am I required to come to campus for work if I can accomplish my job duties from home?

Employees who are deemed non-essential to campus operations and can work effectively from home may be allowed to continue to fulfill their work responsibilities remotely to limit the number of employees on campus. Remote work arrangements must be approved by the employee’s immediate Supervisor/Center Chair. Please refer to the Remote Work Policy 2.31 for more details.

What if I do not have options for childcare?

Flexible work options are available. Please work with your Supervisor/Center Chair to determine the best solution.Staff may use accrued paid leave time (vacation or personal leave) as approved by their Supervisor. If accrued time has been exhausted, staff may be placed in unpaid status if unable to work from home. Faculty members will need to work with their Center Chair and/or Dean. Please consult the College Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) Policy 2.14A for additional guidance.

Can I bring my child(ren) to work with me, since schools are closed?

Due to liability reasons, children cannot accompany employees in the workplace as set forth in the College’s Minors on Campus Policy 4.7. Contact your Supervisor/Center Chair and Human Resources to discuss what other options may be available to you.

What if I am showing signs of sickness?

Employees who have COVID-19 symptoms (i.e., fever, cough, or shortness of breath, etc.) should notify their Supervisor/Center Chair, contact their healthcare provider, and stay home. Employees with confirmed cases of COVID-19 and/or symptoms should follow CDC-recommended steps, should utilize Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSLA) and sick leave after EPSLA leave ends, and should not return to work until the criteria to discontinue home isolation are met, in consultation with healthcare providers and state and local health departments.

What if I have a sick family member?

Employees who are well but who have a family member at home sick with a confirmed case of COVID-19 should notify their Supervisor/Center Chair, follow CDC recommended precautions, stay at home and utilize Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) and sick leave after EPSL leave ends. Extended FMLA leave may also be an option. Refer to College Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) Policy 2.14A for additional information regarding a confirmed COVID-19 case of a family member. However, in the event the employee is home, well and able to fulfill her or his job responsibilities, a remote work option may be possible in lieu of using sick leave with the approval of the employee’s Supervisor/Center Chair and Human Resources

When should I use technology instead of an in-person meeting?

Employees should limit the number of people at meetings, ensuring that Commonwealth law is followed. Examples include: When in-person meetings are necessary, no more than the number of people defined in PA law by the governor’s order should be present, and physical distancing should be in place. Video conferencing and conference calls such as Skype for Business, Zoom and Microsoft TEAMS should be used instead of in-person meetings. No events, meetings, or gatherings will be approved that include more than what PA law defines. Tools such as Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams and Zoom allow you to communicate with colleagues in real-time, host meetings, co-author documents and more.

What if I am part of the CDC-defined High Risk for Severe Illness from COVID-19 Population?

Employees in this group should consult the CDC’s extra precautions site and speak with their Supervisor/Center Chair as well as their healthcare provider. Employees who believe that they fall into the high-risk category may seek an accommodation related to returning to campus. Please contact the College’s Human Resources Office at 215.248.7036 or HROffice@chc.edufor details regarding the process of requesting an accommodation.

Do I need to wear a mask?

Yes, employees must wear face masks/coverings in public spaces at all times, even when a safe physical distance from other employees can be maintained. Faculty members teaching in a classroom have the choice of utilizing a plastic face shield, or in combination with the use of a face mask/covering, recognizing that the CDC does not recommend the use of face shields as a substitute for a face mask. However, the July 2020 Commonwealth order regarding the mandatory wearing of face masks in public also recognizes face shields to be in compliance.

What are the guidelines for employees who commute to campus for work from their primary residence located in either PA, NJ, or DE?

Employees should check their home state’s travel restrictions prior to commuting to campus for work.
PA COVID-19 Information for Travelers
NJ COVID-19 Information Hub
DE Coronavirus Official Website

What are the guidelines for employees who work on campus and plan to travel or have traveled outside their home state, in the past 14 days, to an area where there are high amounts of COVID-19 cases?

If an employee has traveled, or plans to travel, to certain states where there are a high number of COVID-19 cases, it is required that the employee stay at home and work remotely for 14 days prior to returning to work on the College’s campus. Employees should stay in their quarantine location for the full 14 days and avoid interacting with anyone including those in their household.
The CDC recommends that employees planning on travel that is different from their everyday activities, away from their local community, should follow state and local travel restrictions. For up-to-date information and travel guidance, check the state or local health department where you live, along your route, and at your planned destination. While you are traveling, it is possible a state or local government may put into place travel restrictions, such as stay-at-home or shelter-in-place orders, mandated quarantines upon arrival, or even state border closures. Employees should plan to keep checking for updates as they travel.In addition, we ask that all employees returning to campus follow the CDC Guidelines set out for traveling throughout the United States:
How to Protect Yourself & Others
Considerations for Travelers

What if I feel stressed, anxious or am grieving a loss?

It’s natural to feel stress or anxiety during this time. Whether you or a family member were ill or not, many people are experiencing feelings of loss. Our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers a wide range of services, including 24/7 access to licensed professionals to help you manage stress, loss, financial distress and more. For more information and support, contact UNUM 1-800-544-1446 or

Who do I contact if I have questions regarding employee benefits?

You may contact the Human Resources with questions via email at or call 215.248.7035.

What if I have questions that have not been addressed?

Please contact Human Resources with any additional questions at or call 215.248.7036.

Read More