Associate Professor of Chemistry
Martino Hall, 3rd flr., Room 312
- B.S., Chemistry, Arizona State University
- Ph.D., Chemistry/Biochemistry, Arizona State University
- Biochemistry and Biochemistry laboratory
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Chemistry and Public Policy
- Forensic Science
- Introduction to Chemical Information and Technical Communication
- CNS demyelinating diseases
- Intermediary metabolism in the CNS
- Lipid and Membrane Metabolism in Nervous System
- Effects of Environmental Factors on CNS
- Miller, S.L., Benjamins, J.A. and Morell, P. 1975. Reutilization of choline for synthesis of phosphatidyl and phosphatidal choline in rat brain. J. Neurochem. 25: 913-914.
- Wiggins, R.C., Miller, S.L., Benjamins, J.A., Krigman, M. and Morell, P. 1976. Myelin synthesis during postnatal nutritional deprivation and subsequent rehabilitation. Brain Res. 107: 257-273.
- Benjamins, J.A., Miller, S.L. and Morell, P. 1976. Metabolic relationships between myelin subfractions: Entry of galactolipids and phospholipids. J. Neurochem. 27: 565-570.
- Miller, S.L., Benjamins, J.A. and Morell, P. 1977. Metabolism of glycerophospholipids of myelin and microsomes in rat brain. Reutilization of precursors. J. Biol. Chem. 252: 4025-4037.
- Miller, S.L. and Morell, P. 1978. Turnover of microsomal and myelin lipids in the brain of adult rats. J. Neurochem. 31: 771-777.
- Miller, S.L., Klurfeld, D.M., Weinsweig, D., and Kritchevsky, D. 1981. Effect of essential fatty acid deficiency on the synthesis and turnover of myelin lipid. J. Neurosci. Res. 6: 203-210.
- McMorris, F.A., Miller, S.L., Pleasure, D. and Abramsky, O. 1981. Expression of biochemical properties of oligodendrocytes X glioma cell hybrids proliferating in vivo. Exp. Cell Res. 133: 395-404.
- Gorny, M.K., Wroblewska, Z., Pleasure, D., Miller, S.L., Wajgt, A. and Koprowski, H. 1983. CSF antibodies to myelin basic protein and oligodendrocytes in multiple sclerosis and other neurological diseases. Acta Neurolog. Scand. 67: 338-347.
- Miller, S.L., Pleasure, D., Herlyn, M., Atkinson, B., Ernst, C., Tachovsky, T.G. and Baird, L. 1984. Production and characterization of monoclonal antibodies to peripheral and central nervous system myelin. J. Neurochem. 43: 394-400.
- Miller, S.L., Klurfeld, D.M., Loftus, B., and Kritchevsky, D. 1984. Effect of essential fatty acid deficiency on myelin proteins. Lipids 19: 478-480.
- Miller, S.L. and Pritchett, W.P. 1986. Monoclonal antibody detection of a 57,500 dalton myelin antigen. Trans. Amer. Soc. Neurochem. 17: 155.
- Miller, S.L., Kahn, S.N., Perussia, B. and Trinchieri, G. 1987. Comparative binding of murine and human monoclonal antibodies specific for myelin-associated glycoprotein in myelin and human lymphocytes. J. Neuroimmunol.15: 229-242.
- Sergott, R.C., Brown, M.J., Lisak, R.P. and Miller, S.L. 1988. Antibody to myelin-associated glycoprotein produces central system demyelination. Neurol. 38: 422-426.
- Miller, S. L., Ötvös-Papp, Erzsebet, Prichett, William, and Meyer, Robert D. 1989. Detection and partial chemical characterization of a novel 57,500 dalton protein in rat brain myelin. J. Neurosci. Res. 22: 262-268.
- Miller, S. L. (1990) "Effects of Undernutrition on Myelin Deposition." In: van Gelder, N. F., Butterworth, R. F. and Drujan, B. D. (eds.): "(Mal)nutrition and the Infant Brain. New York: Wiley-Liss, Inc., pp. 175-190.
- Miller, S.L. (1993) "Nongenetic Models of Myelin Disorders." In: Boulton, A.A., Baker, G.B. and Butterworth, R.F. (eds.): Neuromethods V. 21 Animal Models of Neurological Diseases, Part 1-Neurodegenerative Diseases. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, pp. 205-273.
- Miller, S.L., Daikhin, Y. and Yudkoff, M. (1996) Metabolism of N-acetyl-L-aspartate in rat brain. Neurochem. Res. 21: 615-618.
- Gabriel, J.-M., Erne, B., Miescher, G.C., Miller, S.L., Ulrich, J., Vital, A., Vital, C., and Steck, A.J. (1996) Selective loss of myelin-associated glycoprotein from myelin correlates with anti-MAG antibody titer in demyelinating paraproteinaemic polyneuropathy. Brain 119: 775-787.
- Miller, S. L., Ötvös-Papp, E., Vaughn, S.L., and Denisova,M. (1998) Cycloserine-Induced Decrease of Cerebroside in Myelin. Lipids 33: 441-443.
- Lanza-Jacoby, S. and Miller, S. (1999) Effect of cyclooxygenase (cox) and cox 2 inhibitors on prostaglandin production and T-cell proliferation in sepsis. Shock 11: 42-45
- Lanza-Jacoby, S. and Miller, S. (2000) Role of the 14-k Da phospholipase A2 in prostaglandin production and lymphocyte proliferation during sepsis. Prostaglandins and Other Lipid Mediators 59: 211
- Lanza-Jacoby, S., Miller, S., Flynn, J., Gallatig, K., Daskalakis, C., Masferrer, J.L., Zweifel, B.S., Sembhi, H., and Russo, I.H. (2003) The cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 inhibitor, celecoxib, prevents the development of mammary tumors in HER-2/neu mice. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, & Prevention 12: 1486-1491.
- Lanza-Jacoby, S., Dicker, A., Miller, S., Rosato, F., Flynn, J. T., Lavorgna, S., and Burd, R. (2004) Cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 dependents effects of the COX-2 inhibitor SC236 when combined with ionizing radiation in mammary tumor cells derived from HER-2/neu mice. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 3: 417-424.
- Susan Lanza-Jacoby, Randy Burd, Francis E. Rosato, Jr., Kandace McGuire, Noel Nougbilly, and Sheldon Miller. Simultaneous inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and cyclooxygenase-2 produce a supra-additive growth inhibitory effect associated with the EGFR signaling pathway in HER-2/neu positive breast cancer cells. In press: Clinical Cancer Research
Other Academic Information:
- "Etiology of Multiple Sclerosis" Co-Investigator.Funded by: National Institutes of Health and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- "The Effect of Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency on Myelin Lipids in Rat Brain"
- PI. Funded by Merck and Company
- "CNS Metabolism and Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency" PI
- Funded by National Institutes of Health
- "The Role of Novel Antibodies in Multiple Sclerosis" PI
- Funded by The Lannan Foundation
- "In Vivo Effect of Decreased Myelin Cerebroside" PI
- Funded by National Institutes of Health,
- "N-Acetylaspartate and Myelin Metabolism" PI
- Funded by National Institutes of Health