Suzanne del Gizzo, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Office Location: St. Joseph Hall, 4th flr., West Wing, SJ471
Office Phone: 215.753.3626
- Ph.D., English Literature, Tulane University, May 2003
- M.A., English Language and Literature, University of Chicago, June 1994
- B.A., English Literature and Philosophy, New York University, Highest Honors, May 1993
- College Writing
- Introduction to Literature
- Introduction to Cultural Studies
- Introduction to the Liberal Arts: Consuming Culture
- Literature into Film
- Women Writers
- Gender and Literature
- American Romanticism
- Modern American Literature
- Contemporary American Literature
- American Novel
- American Poetry
- Modern American Novel
- Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and the Hazards of Celebrity
- Women and Modernism
- Modernism and Primitivism
- American Literature, Anglo-American Modernism, African-American Literature, Gender Studies, Culture Studies, Critical Race Theory, Theories of Modernity and Modernization, Performance Theory, Writing and Composition.
- Ernest Hemingway in Context. Eds. Suzanne del Gizzo and Debra A. Moddelmog. New York: Cambridge UP, 2012
- Hemingway's The Garden of Eden: 25 Years of Criticism. Eds. Suzanne del Gizzo and Frederic Svoboda. Kent, OH: Kent UP, 2012.
- "F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ethnographic Stereotyping." F. Scott Fitzgerald in Context. Ed. Byant Mangum. Forthcoming from Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2013.
- "The Cult and Afterlife of Ernest Hemingway." Ernest Hemingway in Context. Eds. Suzanne del Gizzo and Debra A. Moddelmog. New York: Cambridge UP, 2013.
- Biographical Head note and Supplementary teaching materials on Ernest Hemingway for the Heath Anthology of American Literature, 7th ed. Cengage, 2013.
- "Within and Without: F. Scott Fitzgerald and American Consumer Culture." Critical Insights: F. Scott Fitzgerald. Ed. Dan Noble. New Jersey: Salem Press, 2010: 34-54.
- "Tracking the Elephant: David's African Childhood in The Garden of Eden." Hemingway in Africa. Ed. Miriam Mandel. New Jersey: Camden House, 2012.
- "Glow-in-the-Dark Authors: Hemingway's Critique of Literary Celebrity in Under Kilimanjaro." The Hemingway Review. 29.2 (Spring 2010): 7-27.
- "'Can't Repeat the Past?' Of course You Can't and Shouldn't: Filming The Great Gatsby for the 21st Century." Bright Lights Film Journal. 66 (Fall 2009).
- “F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway.” American Literary Scholarship: An Annual – 2007. Eds. David J. Nordloh and Gary Scharnhorst. Durham: Duke UP.
- "Reconsidering Remate: Hemingway's Approach to Writing in A Moveable Feast." The Hemingway Review. Spring 2009.
- “The American Dream Unhinged: Romance and Reality in The Great Gatsby and Fight Club.” The Fitzgerald Review. 6 (Fall 2008): 69-94.
- “F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway.” American Literary Scholarship: An Annual – 2006. Eds. David J. Nordloh and Gary Scharnhorst. Durham: Duke UP, 179-198.
- "Going Home: Hemingway, Primitivism, and Identity." Modern Fiction Studies 49.3 (Fall 2003).
- "Catherine Barkley: Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms in Women in Literature: Reading through the Lens of Gender." Eds. Jerilyn Fisher and Ellen Silber. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2003.
- "Across the Quad: Building an Interdisciplinary Community." Inventio. 3.1 (Spring 2001) http://www.doiiit.gmu.edu/inventio/
- "Peephole to the Jungle: a study of safari from Imperial Preservation to Global Conversation." Proteus. 15.1 (Fall 1998) 37-42.
- Rev. of Race and Identity in Hemingway's Fiction by Amy L. Strong. Modern Fiction Studies. Spring 2009.
- "Fitzgerald in Black(Irish)face." Rev. of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Racial Angles and the Business of Literary Greatness by Michael Nowlin. The Fitzgerald Review. (Fall 2008)168-174.
- Rev. of Ernest Hemingway: Machismo and Masochism by Richard Fantina. Journal of the History of Sexuality. 17.2 (Spring 2008) 290-295.
- Rev. of Hemingway in Africa: The Last Safari by Michael Ondaatje. The Hemingway Review 6.1 (Fall 2006) 124-127.
- Rev. of Hemingway's Theaters of Masculinity, by Thomas Strychacz. Modern Fiction Studies. 51.3 (Fall 2005) 679-683.
- Rev. of The Oxford Historical Guide to F. Scott Fitzgerald, edited by Kirk Curnutt. The Fitzgerald Review. Vol. 3 (2004) 155-159.
- Rev. of Authors Inc. Literary Celebrity in the Modern United States, 1880-1980, by Loren Glass. The Hemingway Review (Fall 2004) 117-121.
- "A Lie by Noon." Rev. of True at First Light by Ernest Hemingway, ed. by Patrick Hemingway. The Hemingway Review. 19.1 (Fall 1999) 35-38.
- Rev. of Modernism, Technology and the Body: A Cultural Study by Tim Armstrong. International Review of Modernism (Spring 1999) 4-6.
Recent Lectures/Conference Presentations
- "Woody Allen, Ernest Hemingway, and Modernist Nostaligia," Hemingway Society Conference, Petoskey, MI. June 2012.
- Panelist, Kansas City Library’s Big Read of Tobias Wolff’s Old School. Kansas City, MO. April 2009.
- "Hemingway: The Early Years." Lecture for the Michigan Big Read, Ernest Hemingway's The Nick Adams Stories. Spring Lake District Library, Spring Lake, MI. March 2008.
- "Tracking the Elephant in The Garden of Eden," Hemingway Society Conference, Kansas City, MO. June 2008.
- “The Young Bullfighter and the Old Author: What’s so Dangerous about The Dangerous Summer,” Hemingway Society Conference, Ronda Spain. June 2006.
- “Larger than Life: The Uses of Biography in Hemingway Studies,” Modern Language Association, Philadelphia, PA. December 2004.
- “A ‘literary career’: Hemingway and the Academy,” South Central Modern Language Association, New Orleans, LA. October 2004.
- “’It [is] strange to have no self’: Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and the Hazards of Celebrity,” Hemingway Society Conference, Key West, FL. June 2004.
- “'You cannot have everything’: Literature, Popular Culture, and Hemingway’s Sleepless African Nights,” American Literature Association Conference. Cambridge, MA. May 2003.
- Board Member, The Ernest Hemingway Foundation and Society, 2007-present
- Conference Co-director for the 14th Biennial International Hemingway Society Conference in Lausanne, Switzerland, June 25-July 3 2010, 2008-present
- ALA/MLA Programming Coordinator, Hemingway Society, 2006-present
- Member of the JFK Library Committee for the Hemingway Grant, Hemingway Society, 2004-present
- Referee, The Hemingway Review, Hemingway Society, 2003-present
- Member: Modern Language Association, Modernist Studies Association, American Studies Association, Hemingway Society, F. Scott Fitzgerald Society