Scott W. Browning, Ph.D., ABPP
Professor of Psychology
Professional Psychology Department
Office Location: St. Joseph Hall, 4th flr., North Wing, SJ446
Office Phone: 215.248.7149
- Ph.D., California School of Professional Psychology, Berkley
- M.Ed., Boston University
- B.A., Washington College
- Brief Therapy
- Empirically Supported Therapies: Research, Theory and Practice
- Treating the Non-Traditional Family
- Colloquial Series
- Family Therapy with Young Children
- Dissertation Mentoring
- Family Therapy
- Advanced Couple & Family Therapy Techniques
- Counseling Techniques
- Psychological Assessment
- Treating Children and Adolescents in a Threatened Environment
- Personality Theory
Visiting Senior Researcher, University Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan, Italy
- Treating the Diverse Family
- Advances in Family Therapy
- Increasing Empathy through Ethical and Accurate Role-Play
- Creating a Spectrum of Treatment for Autism
Link to APA website for interview with Dr. Browning: http://www.apa.org/pubs/books/interviews/4317274-browning.aspx
- Family Therapy
- Marriage & Family Therapy
- Children with Developmental Disorders
- Training Clinicians
Browning, S. and Roth, A. (In Press). The Stepfamily. The Encyclopedia of Family Studies, Sage Press.
Haaz, D., Browning, S. & Kneavel, M. (2014). The Father-Daughter Relationship and Intimacy in the Marriages of Daughters of Divorce. Journal of Divorce and Remarriage.
Browning, S. & Artelt, E. (2011). Stepfamily therapy: A 10-step clinical approach. Washington, DC: APA Books.
- Browning, S., Accordini, M., Gennari, M. & Cigoli, V. (2010). How therapists view stepfamilies: An analysis of Italian clinicians' representations. In V. Cigoli and M. Gennari, Close relationships and community psychology: An international perspective. Milano, Italy: FrancoAngeli.
- Browning, S. & Bray, J. (2009). Treating stepfamilies: A subsystem-based approach. In M. Stanton and J. Bray, Blackwell handbook of family psychology. London, England: Blackwell Press.
- Browning, S. & Miron, P. (2007). Special populations in college and university counseling: A handbook for clinicians. Joseph Lippincott (Ed.). Washington, DC: American Counseling Association Press.
- Browning, S., DiVincenzo, J. & Nelson, B. (2006). Creating families: A teaching technique for clinical training. D.L. Berke and S.K. Wisendale (Eds.). The craft of teaching about families: Strategies and tools. New York: Haworth Press.
- Browning, S.& Nelson, B. (2003). Creating families: A teaching technique for clinical training. Family Relations
- Browning, S. & Green, R. J. (2003). Constructing therapy: From strategic, to systemic, to narrative models. In G.P. Sholever (Ed.) Textbook of family and couples therapy. Washington, D. C.: American Psychiatric Press.
- Browning, S. (1999) The spectrum of empathy. The Journal of Imago Therapy, 4, 12-24.
- Browning, S. (1998). The empathy expansion procedure: A method of helping couples deal with traumatic incidents. In L.L. Hecker & S.A. Deacon (Eds.) The Therapists Notebook. New York: The Haworth Press.
- Browning, S. (1994). Treating stepfamilies: Putting family therapy into perspective. In K. Pasley & M. Ihinger-Tallman(Eds.) Remarriage & Steparenting: Current research and theory. (pp. 94-104). New York, N.Y.: Guilford Press.
- March 2014 - Plenary Speaker and provider of full-day workshop on treating stepfamilies at The Generations Conference in Salt Lake City, UT.
- May 2014 - "What Works? Evidenced Based Practice in Community Settings" conference at Chestnut Hill College.
- August 2014 - Stepfamilies: Research and Clinical Issues, co-presented with James Bray at American Psychological Association Conference, Washington, DC.
- June 2011 - The Personal Prison of Autism. 13th Annual Justice Studies Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- September 2010 - Why is the Stepfamily Often Vulnerable? The European Family Relations Meeting, Milan, Italy.
- November 2010 - Treating the Diverse Family. Pennsylvania Psychological Association Conference, Eagle, PA.
- November 2010 - Treating Families with an Autistic Member. CORA/CHC Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- March 2010 - Treating Stepfamilies. Catholic Social Services, Harrisburg, PA.
- July 2010; July 2008 - Summer Institute on Family Therapy and Trauma - Exchange program with the Catholic University of Milan and Chestnut Hill College.
- June 2009 - Treating Stepfamilies, NSRC Continuing Education Conference, Orlando, FL.
- November 2003 - Qualitative and Phenomenological Analysis of Psychotherapy Research: Talking About vs. Describing Experience. North American Society for Psychotherapy Research Annual Conference.
- October 2002 - Advanced Stepfamily Therapy-Level Two Co-taught with David Wright a Two Day, Stepfamily Association of America annual Conference in Ft. Collins, CO.
- May 2001 - The Use of Empathy in Addictions Treatment. The Pennsylvania Board of Addictions Counselors Annual Conference, Lancaster, PA
- The Stepping Together Program. Smart Marriages: The Fifth Annual Conference of the Coalition for Marriage, Family and Couples Education, Orlando, FL. Invited full-day workshop.
- Member of Editorial Advisory Board for the Encyclopedia of Marriage, Family, and Couples Counseling, Sage Press.
- Co-Director, with Susan McGroarty, Summer Institute at Chestnut Hill College on Trauma and Family Therapy for students from the Catholic University of Milan.
- Expert Panelist, National Stepfamily Resource Center
- Presents as an expert on topics related to stepfamily life
- Co-chair, Stepfamily Interest Group at the American Family Therapy Academy
- Interviewed on Primetime with Diane Sawyer, April 2006
- Interviewed on Radio Times with Marti Moss-Coane, July 2006