GOALS, OBJECTIVES, AND COMPETENCIES
Goal 1. To prepare students to become competent practitioners of clinical psychology, by facilitating the acquisition of knowledge and skills necessary for effective clinical practice.
- Objective 1.1. Students will acquire a comprehensive and holistic understanding of human behavior
- Competency 1.1.1. Students will demonstrate knowledge of lifespan human development
- Competency 1.1.2. Students will demonstrate knowledge of biological, cognitive, affective, social, and cultural factors that affect human behavior
- Competency 1.1.3. Students will demonstrate competence in applying theories of personality and other relevant psychological theories to an understanding of human behavior
- Objective 1.2. Students will acquire knowledge and skills in psychological testing
- Competency 1.2.1. Students will demonstrate knowledge of the theory underlying psychological measurement
- Competency 1.2.2. Students will demonstrate competence in administering, scoring, and interpreting intellectual and personality assessment instruments for adults, adolescents, and children
- Objective 1.3. Students will acquire interviewing and diagnostic skills
- Competency 1.3.1. Students will demonstrate competence in conducting assessment and diagnostic interviews
- Competency 1.3.2. Students will demonstrate competence in using DSM-IV-TR in differential diagnosis.
- Objective 1.4. Students will acquire skills for treating emotional and behavioral disorders
- Competency 1.4.1. Students will demonstrate competence in conceptualizing cases from a coherent theoretical perspective, setting appropriate treatment goals, and designing appropriate methods to assist clients in achieving these goals.
- Competency 1.4.2. Students will demonstrate competence in individual psychotherapy
- Competency 1.4.3. Students will demonstrate competence in basic techniques for intervening with family systems
- Competency 1.4.4. Students will demonstrate familiarity with evidence-based treatments
- Competency 1.4.5. Students will demonstrate familiarity with psychopharmacological treatments
- Objective 1.5. Students will acquire an understanding of the issues involved in providing effective consultation and supervision
- Competency 1.5.1. Students will identify the critical components of effective supervision, how supervision differs from consultation, and ethical issues involved in supervision and consultation
- Objective 1.6. Students will acquire skills in effectively communicating ideas to others through teaching, presentation and writing
- Competency 1.6.1. Students will demonstrate competence in oral communication and delivering presentations on professional issues
- Competency 1.6.2. Students will demonstrate competence in effective written communication
Goal 2. To foster respect for human diversity and to enable students to work effectively with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Objective 2.1. Students will acquire an understanding and appreciation of cultural factors relevant to the delivery of psychological services to a diverse client population
- Competency 2.1.1. Students will demonstrate familiarity with cultural and gender issues relevant to clinical practice
- Competency 2.1.2. Students will demonstrate respect for individual and cultural diversity
- Objective 2.2. Students will work effectively with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Competency 2.2.1. Students will demonstrate competence in assessing and treating clients from diverse cultures
Goal 3. To foster ethical thinking and behavior in professional work and appreciation of legal and quality assurance principles which have an impact on clinical practice.
- Objective 3.1. Students will acquire knowledge of ethical and legal dimensions of clinical practice
- Competency 3.1.1. Students will demonstrate competence in applying APA Ethical Standards and PA law
- Objective 3.2. Students will conduct themselves in a manner that conveys respect for ethical principles and for the welfare of others
- Competency 3.2.1. Students will consistently engage in behavior that is in keeping with ethical and professional standards
Goal 4: To facilitate the development of a scholarly attitude, respect for the value of empirical findings in guiding one’s clinical decision-making, the ability to be effective consumers of research literature, and the ability to utilize research principles to answer clinically-relevant questions.
- Objective 4.1. Students will acquire knowledge and skills in conducting psychological research
- Competency 4.1.1. Students will demonstrate basic knowledge of research design
- Competency 4.1.2. Students will demonstrate competence in interpreting and applying basic techniques of data analysis
- Competency 4.1.3. Students will demonstrate competence in searching, integrating, and critically evaluating the published literature
- Competency 4.1.4. Students will demonstrate the ability to design and carry out a scholarly project
- Objective 4.2. Students will acquire an appreciation for the value of empirical findings for evaluating the effectiveness of interventions
- Competency 4.2.1 Students will understand the relevance and value of empirical findings for evaluating the effectiveness of interventions
Goal 5: To promote professionalism, self-awareness, and active involvement in the profession of psychology and advocacy efforts.
- Objective 5.1. Students will conduct themselves in a professional manner in interpersonal relations, in fidelity to appointments, meeting deadlines, and completing documentation in a timely manner
- Competency 5.1.1. Students will demonstrate the capacity for working collaboratively with colleagues and other professionals
- Competency 5.1.2. Students will demonstrate conscientiousness in keeping appointments, meeting deadlines, and completing documentation requirements
- Objective 5.2. Students will utilize positive and negative feedback from others to modify their behavior and acquire the ability to evaluate critically their own performance of clinical skills
- Competency 5.2.1. Students will demonstrate the capacity to utilize supervision effectively
- Competency 5.2.2. Students will demonstrate the capacity for self-evaluation and self-reflection
- Objective 5.3. Students will develop an identity as a professional psychologist and participate in the profession through membership, leadership, and/or advocacy
- Competency 5.3.1. Students will become familiar with the various roles of the professional psychologist.
- Competency 5.3.2. Students will demonstrate a commitment to the profession by participating in professional organizations, professional activities, and/or advocacy efforts.